A Gut Chodesh from AsktheRav.com!
The dedicated team of Rabbonim at AskTheRav would like to wish you a Gut Chodesh!
“Every Rosh Chodesh the spark of Moshiach, also known as the ‘Yechida’, which is in every Jew’s soul (which is a spark of the general Yechida – the soul of Moshiach) is revealed.
The revelation of this spark resonates and causes a rejuvenation in the entire being of every Jew, so that everything he does in permeated with the level of his Yechida,
And, most importantly, through this the revelation and arrival of Moshiach is caused in the most literal sense – a king from the house of David, soul in body etc.,”
– Sicha of Parshas Toldos 5752
Rosh Chodesh always brings in an influx of related questions. Some might not even be aware of many of the Rosh Chodesh laws and customs. Therefore, our staff of Rabbonim has graciously compiled some Rosh Chodesh snippets for your convenience.
If you require any additional clarification or if you have a different question to ask, please submit your question here.
Wishing you a wonderful new month, with the full revelation of Moshiach!
- Ya’ale Ve’Yavo: Reminder to say Ya’ale Ve’Yavo in Davening and Benching. What if I forget – do I repeat Shemoneh Esrei? or If I forget to mention Rosh Chodesh in Al Hamichya?
Forgot Ya’ale Ve’Yavo on Rosh Chodesh and remembered Toch K’dei Dibur of Yihiyu Leratzon
- Hallel: Read about the importance of reciting Hallel with a Minyan and whether you should say the Bracha for Hallel or just listen in to the Chazzan’s Bracha?
- Tachnun: Tachnun is not recited on Rosh Chodesh, and neither during the Mincha preceding it. What about by Krias Shme Al Hamita on Motzei Rosh Chodesh?
- Cutting Nails: We do not cut our nails on Rosh Chodesh. What if my nails are long? What if Rosh Chodesh is on Friday? What about children’s nails? How about a manicure?
- Haircuts: We do not take haircuts on Rosh Chodesh. What If a Boy’s third birthday (Upshernish) is on Rosh Chodesh?
- Melacha: Women have the custom of refraining from work on Rosh Chodesh. What type of work does this include? Which parts of doing laundry are allowed
- Beis HaChaim: It is customary not to go to a cemetery on Rosh Chodesh. What about going to the Ohel?
- Rosh Chodesh Seudah: One should celebrate Rosh Chodesh with a special Seudah, adding at least one special dish. It is appropriate to wash on bread at this meal, although not an obligation. The Rebbe also encouraged people to Farbreng on Rosh Chodesh.
- Tehillim Study: Reminder to learn your Tehillim (as well as the Rebbe’s Kapitel). Read about it here.