What is the minimum size a Tzitzis garment can be? and that of the Tzitzis strings?
The garment (Beged):
Should be 1 Amah (48cm) in length, and 1 Amah in width on both sides (i.e. total length two amos, one Amah front length and one Amah in back) excluding the hole.
The Tzitzis strings:
Regarding the length of the Tzitzis strings, a distinction must be made between L’chatchila (when the strings are originally being tied onto the Beged) and B’dieved (if they rip or untangle afterwards).
Every string must be at least 12 Gudlin = 9.4 inches. Practically speaking, the area of the knots will be 4 Gudlin = 3.2 inches, and the loose strings will be 8 Gudlin = 6.4 inches. Preferably, one should have the strings a bit longer, so that even if they rip they will still have the required L’chatchila size.
- If even 1 string rips before the loose area (i.e. in the knot area), it is Posul. Within the loose area, if 1 string rips, it is still Kosher because that string still has the proper B’dieved size on the other side.
- If 2 strings on the same side rip (even completely, until the knot area), it is still Kosher because they both still have the proper B’dieved size on the other side.
- If 2 strings from both sides (1 from each side) rip completely (until the knot area), it is Posul because they might both be the same string. If at least one of them has K’dei Anivah = approximately 1.6 inches, it is still Kosher because even if they are the same string, it has the proper B’dieved size.
- If 3 or more strings (on any side) rip to less than 12 Gudlin, it is Posul.
אורך הציצית לכתחילה – ע”פ שו”ע אדה”ז סימן יא סעיף ה, ז, ט.
1. סידור אדה”ז הל ציצית (דלא כבשו”ע שלו סימן יב ס”ו, ראה בקצה”ש סימן ו ס”ק נה). שו”ע אדה”ז סימן יב ס”ב.
2. סידור אדה”ז הל ציצית. שו”ע אדה”ז סימן יב ס”ג.
3. סידור אדה”ז הל ציצית. שו”ע אדה”ז סימן יב סעיף א, ג.
4. סידור אדה”ז הל ציצית. שו”ע אדה”ז סימן יב ס”ג.